The Python Launcher is mostly run as a typical Rust project. The only potential differences is the automation tool used (for convenience).
We use just as a task runner. Some rules require Python >= 3.11 to be installed. Some rules will also use
py itself via
cargo run, so the source code needs to be working.
While developing the website, you can run
just docs-dev to start a local server that will automatically reload when you make changes. This will create a virtual environment in
.venv and install the necessary dependencies.
To build the docs, use
just docs. This will create a virtual environment like
- Adjust the version number in
- Check that the relevant action workflows are passing.
- Run the
- Publish the release.
- Update the Homebrew formula
- Get the URL to the release tarball
curl --location <URL to tarball> | shasum --algorithm 256
- Create a version upgrade pull request with the appropriate commit message
- PEP 397: Python launcher for Windows
- PEP 486: Make the Python Launcher aware of virtual environments